Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Change and happiness

Lots of things have changed for me over the last two months, so I decided to change my blog background. I hope you all enjoy it. I feel that spring is right around the corner, and in my hopefulness of it I chose blue and green. I want blue skies and green foliage. I hope it comes soon.

At school we also started a new semester and a new book. I'm now teaching social studies, which I have to say I enjoy a lot more. Yesterday was a long day; I had a two-hour conversation class with one ten-year-old girl at the elementary school, then I had an hour to walk to the middle school and grab something to eat, and then I taught five classes of social studies. Most of the classes went well, but the poor lower level students had no idea what I was talking about when I was trying to explain Greek history. Toward the end of class I opted to play hangman. At the end of the day I was exhausted and my feet hurt from standing for almost 8 hours straight, but as I walked home I couldn't help but smile. Yes it was late and I was tired, but I'm learning that simple things can bring you happiness. Things like a full day of teaching, seeing a father holding his daughter's hand, catching a young man dancing at the bus stop when only he can hear his music, and smiling at the guy that sells me fruit (I love my fruit guy).

I'm realizing that my last couple of posts have been kind of sappy. Sorry! I'm not normally a sappy person, but I am happy. And I wanted to share it all with you. I hope you can smile at the simple things in life too. Have a super duper awesome day!