Friday, November 19, 2010

Sometimes I really love my students...

... because they make me laugh. I have a couple of classes that are just a riot. Sometimes it's because they mix words up and what they end up saying is humorous. And sometimes it's because they're genuinely funny.

This was one of my conversations with a boy I've nicknamed Angel -

Me: What did you do this weekend?
Angel: I went to the angel.
Me: The angel? Did you see it in a museum.
Angel: No. Teacher, how do you say 'kyohwae' in English?
Me: Church.
Angel: Yes, I went to the church.

And then there was me laughing with the other student because it was just so cute. And then I said his new nickname was Angel and he was fine with that.

I have this one class that has two boys, Min Seok and Sung Hyun, who are totally hilarious. They are friends and feed off of each other and are basically the only ones that talk in that class. Min Seok is always telling me he's a fashionista and Sung Hyun is always making fun of him. Well, a couple of weeks ago they were both absent which made class kind of painful. I asked the class, "Where is fashionista and the other funny one?" (at that time I couldn't remember their real names...)

So yesterday I come into class and Sung Hyun asks, "Teacher, why am I the other one?" I think he was kind of miffed. I replied, "I said the other funny one. You're funny." Then he said, "But why the OTHER one?" I responded truthfully and said, "I'm sorry, I couldn't remember your name." He was like FINE, marched up to the board and wrote in really big letters, both in Korean and English, Won Sung Hyun. I don't think I'll forget his name now.

Also yesterday, Min Seok was wearing an Adidas jacket that was purple with hot pink stripes down the arm. It really looked like a girls jacket. He was also wearing skinny jeans. I was making the kids ask me questions to practice conversation and Sung Hyun asked, "Teacher, what do you think of Min Seok's fashion today."

Well, Min Seok likes to joke around so I know he can take some teasing. I responded, "Girls jacket, girls jeans." Min Seok rolled his eyes at me and replied, "Skinny jeans are fashionable, and I like pink and purple! Teacher, you don't know about fashion. I'm the fashionista." I laughed and nodded my head in agreement. Then a bit later Min Seok said, "Teacher, I have a new name. I'm the Fashion Bible." That made the whole class bust up. They're really too funny, and honestly you kind of have to be in the moment. But trust me, it's fun.

No comments: