Sunday, November 14, 2010

The good and the bad

The good:
1. I have awesome friends in Korea.
2. My awesome friends like Asian pop culture as much as I do and we can spend many an hour rehashing stories about music and dramas and cute boys.
3. I have tickets to several upcoming Korean pop concerts that I'm totally stoked for.
4. You can totally see the back of my head in a Korean drama because they filmed a concert scene at one of the concerts I went to. My dreams of being a star are that much closer to coming true. It pays to be tall and redheaded in Korea sometimes.
5. My awesome friends also like to shop - which I did with them on Saturday.
6. The Fall here in Korea - the weather was perfect yesterday and not to bad today.
7. The fact that cute boys randomly hold up signs that say "Free Hugs" and you can totally hug them. (I still haven't figured out why they do this - and it's not just boys but girls too. Are they just really nice? Do they really like hugs? Is it a gimmick? Is it a service project? I have no idea)
8. The fact that I own a sweatshirt (bought in Korea of course) that says "Free Hugs" and that I was wearing it yesterday when I saw said cute boy holding his sign. I pointed at his sign then I pointed at my sweatshirt and smiled. We had a "heeeyyy" moment and then we hugged. And he gave a pretty darn good hug.

The bad:
1. That I have to go to Itaewon, aka the foreigner part of town, to find clothes that will actually fit me and then of course they can be expensive.
2. That there are hordes and hordes and hordes of people in Seoul - particularly Myeong Dong where we went after Itaewon. On the plus side there are lots of pretty lights, pretty advertisements, an pretty boys to look at. On the down side there is lots and lots of pushing and shoving.
3. The ahjummas. In Korean ahjumma basically means a married woman - but I tend to refer to ahjummas as the middle aged to over middle aged woman who have no qualms about pushing you aside in the metro or on the sidewalk because they think they're entitled to. I have been shoved by an ahjumma countless times (and yes it happened yesterday), and all I can do is shake my head and mutter in my mind, "AHJUMMA!"

Does the good outweigh the bad here in Korea? Definitely.

3 comments:

Genny said...

HOW FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

LB said...

The free hug shirt/sign hug is pretty epic!

Travel_Chic said...

Heeeeeeeeeeeey!!! I totally want one of those sweatshirts!