Thursday, June 24, 2010

Oh English

I went to a university yesterday to help out three master's students of linguistics. They're doing research and needed native English speakers for test subjects. So I sat in a booth for an hour and a half reading and repeating sentences.

During one of our breaks, I was saying how Korean seems really hard because the grammar is so different from English - almost opposite. They laughed and said, "Now you know how we feel." Then one of the girls said, "English is the public enemy." I laughed; it was funny after all.

But now I'm starting to agree with here. For instance, how do you pronounce this word: banal. It was one of the words I had to read in the testing. Now, I pronounce is BAYnal. But then I was talking to my friend and she said it is pronounced buh-nal (buNALL). So I checked on the internet. Apparently there are three recognized pronunciations; the two above and also saying it like it rhymes with canal. And then I laughed out loud when I continued reading and saw this:
"Some Panelists admit to being so vexed by the problem that they tend to avoid the word in conversation." So there is your answer folks - avoidance.

Later that day at work one of the Korean teachers asked me a grammar question about using 'them' or 'themselves.' Do you know how hard that is to explain? Especially to a Korean whose English is not that great. He kept on asking why, until I wanted to scream "JUST BECAUSE." And honestly, sometimes that's the only answer I have. That's what they did to me in the MTC when I was learning Russian; "just because - now memorize it."

I have a love/hate relationship with English.

3 comments:

kathryn said...

I so know how you feel! I'm putting together grammar lessons for some adults getting ready to take the GED. They wanted something basic and easy to understand so they can get those concepts before having to move on to anything more difficult. I have come to realize that the best way to learn English grammar is all at once or not at all.

Genny said...

I totally remember the "just because", esp that one day with brother foster- you were fruuustraaaated, xaxaxa

Nancy Roche said...

Meh - there are greater frustrations than reflexive verbs. I know English has frustrated people all over the world, including my little freshmen, who still have heartwrenching difficulty identifying parts of speech. Your Koreans are way ahead.