Monday, April 5, 2010

The funniest lunch ever

There is a teacher at work, Mr, Soh, who seems very proper and reserved. So proper in fact that I don't even know his first name - hence I call him Mr. Soh. But Mr. Soh has a quirky sense of humor once you get to know him. I was eating lunch yesterday with Mr. Soh, Chriss, and Alice (all Korean teachers), when Mr. Soh started coughing. I told him, "Don't die." A little later I asked him how his weekend was and he said, "I was dying." He's good and picking up on things like that. Then Alice told me that Mr. Soh was sick. I turned to him and said, "Oh, you're sick?" To which he replied, "Yeah, I'm really SICK." But the way he said it and his facial expression implied that he didn't mean heath-wise, but personality-wise. I looked at him, and he blushed, started laughing, and turned his face to the wall. I was lost, I was laughing so hard I had to cover my face to try to keep it in. Retelling this story does not do it justice - you had to be there.

Anyways, the director Simson (aka my boss) and manager Yang also happened to be in there eating lunch. When my laughter subsided, Simson explained why pronunciation in English is so vital. He said, "For instance you want to say important man, not impotent man." I started laughing all over again. I then thoroughly explained that you do not want to say impotent man. That situation could get ugly.

No comments: