Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Weekend Fun

Saturday morning I was pretty much a bum. It was nice to sleep in and lounge on my bed. I messed around on the internet and read a little. But I did manage to clean my kitchen – the cupboards were kind of gross, I’m assuming from the previous tenant. But now they’re nice and sparkly. Okay, maybe not sparkly but clean. In the afternoon I ventured onto the Metro for the first time by myself. I went to a place called Gwanghwamun Square. It’s a square (obviously) that has two huge statues – one of Admiral Yi Sun-shin, and one of King Sejong, the inventor of the Korean alphabet. Under the statue of Sejong is an exhibit all about him, his reign, and the evolution of hanguel (Korean alphabet). It was all very interesting. Further down the square they had ice skating and some sort of ice sledding. It looked fun. Then I went into the Kyobo Book Center. It’s a pretty big bookstore and there were a TON of people there. People were all over, sitting on the floor reading, browsing the bookshelves – it was fun and crazy.

On Sunday I met up with Cindy (a friend of a friend, but now we’re friends) and went to church. It’s an English branch and it was actually really big. There are military people, English teachers, and regular workers. After church the singles all get together at this guy Mitch’s apartment to eat and socialize. Mitch is military and has a much, much bigger and nicer apartment than mine. There were probably 20 singles there and it was nice to get to know people. Thank goodness for the Church – I now know people in Korea! On the way home I accidentally got on a train going the wrong way. Luckily I noticed right away and got off at the next stop to get on the right train – no harm no foul. I have a feeling that might happen to me a lot while I’m here. Seoul is so big and the metro system is humongous.


Ice skating on the square.

King Sejong

The Admiral

Pretty

2 comments:

kathryn said...

Denise told me she saw you at church this week. How fun! Now if you don't feel like speaking Korean or English, you can always hang out with her and speak Russian.

Cindy said...

thats right we're friends. and mostly you forgot to say how you knew every human being in that building. gross me out.