Monday, January 18, 2010

A week gone by

Sorry for not updating sooner – I’ve had a very busy week! On Tuesday Joanne and I went out to dinner and then watched Avatar in 3-D. I didn’t really think it would be my kind of movie; sci-fi isn’t really my thing. But actually it was pretty cool, especially in 3-D. The only problem was when the Navi people spoke their own language it was subtitled in Korean. I didn’t think much of it until about half way through I realized it had probably originally been subtitled in English. I leaned over to Joanne and told her I didn’t know what they were saying – she laughed. And then translated for me.

On Wednesday my boss took me, the two other American teachers, and about seven Korean teachers out to dinner. We had a traditional Korean meal; we sat on the floor and they just kept bringing out more and more food. I ate fish, squid, seaweed, rice, soup, pork, and lots of other things I can’t remember or didn’t know what were. I sat next to one of the male Korean teachers who turned to me and said, “I’m very satisfied with my seat.” But then didn’t say anything else to me the rest of the night.


On Friday I got together with Cindy to hang out. We went into a restaurant where she pointed to a table trying to indicate that we wanted to eat that. Luckily there was a nice man who spoke English and translated for us. We ended up getting some sort of pork thing that you wrap in lettuce, and oysters. I ate one oyster – it was slimy and gross. The heap of oysters together looked like brains. After dinner we went to the musical stage play “The Wedding Singer” – in Korean. That’s right, they translated the whole thing. It was good we knew the story beforehand because obviously we don’t speak Korean. It was very, very amusing. Especially the club scene where there was some guy dancing in very, very tiny shorts and what looked like a leash, and Holly danced on a platform and got drenched with water. Water fell from the ceiling onto her, literally. That scene alone was worth the money we spent on our tickets.


On Saturday I got together with my friend Chris (aka Seong-Cheon). I tutored him at BYU-Idaho and I hadn’t seen him in two years. He took me to Gangnam (an area of Seoul) where we went to lunch and walked around. We decided it was too cold outside so he took me to Times Square, a really humongous shopping mall. There were a TON of people there. It was crazy, insane – welcome to life in Seoul, population 11 million. But it was fun to look around at the shops.


Cindy eating an oyster - yuck!

Me and some sort of food creation

In front of the Arts Center

2 comments:

Genny said...

I'm very satisfied with my seat...bwahahaha

kathryn said...

You have the most amusing adventures, or maybe it's just the way you write.

Your hair is getting so long!