Friday, January 8, 2010

I survived the week

One week down! It's been fun, and crazy, and exhausting. For the most part the kids are great, but they are teenagers so that says a lot about them. Whenever I asked them if they wanted to know anything about me the first question was always, "how old are you?". The second question was always "how tall are you?". When I replied 180 cm (aka 6 feet) there was always a collective gasp of disbelief. I mean, I know I'm tall but have these kids never heard of Yao Ming or his wife, who happens to be two whole inches taller than me (congrats to them by the way, they are going to have a baby - that kid is going to be huge). I think these kids need to meet some NBA players. And I will have you know that I have walked by at least four Korean men who are taller than me. Geez!

It's cold enough to see your breath here, and today on my way to work I saw the cutest thing - two little girls blowing air at each other to see their breath combing. It was just adorable. Also today on my way home from work I carried an ironing board. At least it was not a full size one. Here is the story; a couple of days ago one of the Korean workers/drivers and one of the Korean teachers (who speaks English, her name is Joanne) took me shopping to get some more things that I needed. Well, apparently the driver was in a very big hurry and Joanne and I literally had to run after him to keep up. He was a crazed man on a mission. We were done shopping in seven minutes. But it turns out I forgot to get an iron and an ironing board. So today the same driver comes in and hands me an iron and ironing board - hence I put the iron in my backpack and carried the ironing board as I walked home. Also, everyday when I get home I have a new takeout menu attached to my door. There are tons of little restaurants everywhere and I think they all deliver. If only I could read the menu and actually order something. Goal for the week - learn Korean alphabet!

The street I walk down to go to work everyday.

The street where I live. My apartment building is the one on the right with the white car out front.

View one of my apartment. Nice kitchen, heh?

View two of my apartment. Look mom, I made my bed! Still haven't figured out the TV though.

Me and my new ironing board!



3 comments:

kathryn said...

Thanks for the pictures!

Genny said...

Korea looks so cool! I'm loving the stories. As for the TV, remember, find the "on" button. hehehehe

LB said...

Love, love, love it!!!