Thursday, January 21, 2010

Friends and Recordings

On Monday I finally got to see my friend Haejin. He works for Johnson and Johnson Korea, and seriously he works like 80 hours a week, so he's very busy. But he texted me and said he wanted to take me out to dinner. He picked me up at 6:00 pm and the poor guy was sick. I told him he could have bailed but he said he didn't want to break his promise. He ended up taking me to this place that specializes in porridge (because he was sick). I know what you're all thinking - gross. It was not gross. It was actually really, really good. Mine had crab and vegetables in it. And one thing you'll learn quickly about Korean cuisine is that no matter what you order, you will always get several side dishes with it. The normal side dishes are kimchi and this yellow radish thing. With our porridge we got kimchi, some sort of spicy mushy stuff, and shredded beef. The shredded beef was delicious; so good in fact that I ate mine and Haejin's. He didn't mind. It was great catching up with him and just spending a meal with a friend. When we stood up to the pay the owner of the restaurant commented on how tall I was. I don't hear that enough it seems. But I was standing next to Haejin who happens to be one whole inch taller than me. Geez!

If you read my last post than you remember my traditional Korean meal with my co-workers and the Korean guy who sat next to me and said, "I'm very satisfied with my seat." I usually don't see him because he works at the elementary school and I work at the middle school. Well today he was here at the middle school. He's kind of cute (but not that tall). Anyway I said hi to him on my way to class, and then he came into my class and asked if he could take a picture of the class. I was like, um ... sure. I figure why not take a picture of the class? But it turns out that what he really meant was that he wanted to record the class, because he came in with a video camera. This was slightly nerve wracking on my part. A picture is one thing - a recording is a whole different thing. My class was on it's best behavior with him in there. He stayed about 15 minutes, and when he left my class let out a huge sigh of relief, literally. And so did I. He did not record me and my class because he has a crush on me (although he might, ;) I'm not sure). Turns out he's the manager at the elementary school and is in charge of AV stuff and recording some classes for review. I just thought it was kind of funny.

No comments: