Thursday, January 29, 2009

Writing Torture

So, I've been trying to write this young adult book for probably three years now. I think I have a good idea and my characters are interesting. I even think some parts are really witty - which trust me, doesn't happen often in my case. But the problem is that I can't seem to finish it. I have about 16,000 words at the moment, and I don't add very much at a time. I'll open it up and maybe write a paragraph, and then I zone out. Literally. I start thinking of something that has nothing to do with my book, like what I'm going to wear the next day, or if I need to go to the store or something. I have no focus, I swear.

My roommate Kathryn, who also writes, told me I just need to get it done. Just sit down and force myself to finish it and then I can go back and fix things. But you see, that's my problem - I can't make myself. I want it to be perfect NOW. So I'll write something and then I'll delete because I think it's lame. But no longer. I'm on a quest to finish this book. As of today I'm giving myself a deadline - it must be done my June 1. That gives me four months to finish it. I can do it in four months, right?

3 comments:

kathryn said...

YES YOU CAN!

Genny said...

Go Corinna! See you on Valentine's Day!!! Aren't I the worst wife?

Julia Salomatina (Putilina) said...

I have an idea about what can motivate you better. We could translate this book into Russian and publish it!! I already know people who could draw pictures for it.