Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sometimes I wonder...

Sometimes I wonder if I'm cut out to be a teacher. For the most part I really like my job. It's a whole lot more interesting than the desk job I had in D.C. And I get to joke around with kids and ask them silly questions and call it work.

But sometimes I don't know what they're thinking or feeling. Today I made a 12-year-old boy cry, and I don't even know what I did. Okay, I do know what I did - I scolded him for talking in Korean and then playfully, and I mean playfully, tapped the brim of his baseball hat. And apparently that made him really upset because he told me that he wasn't the one that had spoken in Korean. I said it was because I liked his hat, but the next thing I know his head is down, with his hat brim covering his face and tears streaming down his cheeks. I felt awful! But I swear I wasn't being mean, I was just doing my job. So after that I took him out in the hall and apologized. But I'm pretty sure he was still mad at me. So I felt really bad, but then I thought, "I didn't do anything wrong! And he's 12, he should not be crying." And then I felt bad for thinking like that.

Ugh, it can be an ugly cycle. Let's just hope that when I see him again on Thursday that he won't hate my stinking guts.

1 comment:

Travel_Chic said...

Do not let it bother you friend. You apologized, you WERE doing your job, and you are a good teacher.