Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thanks to the Servicemen

This is a day late, but better late then never right? I wanted to thank all the Servicemen out there, no matter where you are from or what uniform you where. You protect your people and that is admirable.

On Sunday I had the opportunity to go to the local cemetery and place flags in front of veterans graves. There wasn't really any order to it, so we had to wander around looking for ones that mentioned them serving in wars or had their rank abbreviations on it. It was a lovely way to spend a lovely afternoon. It made me appreciate all that much more what they did for our county.

And then it made me remember my Grandpa Barrett who served in WWII as a fighter pilot. His plane was shot down and he was sent to a concentration camp. He never really talked about it and I can understand why. But I hope he knows that I wanted to place a flag for him too. 

My Grandpa Barrett in uniform with my Grandma. Isn't he handsome?

Grandpa in front of his plane.

No comments: