Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Um...

I feel like I should post something because I haven't said anything in a week. Let's see - monsoon season has started. Which means it's hot, humid, and then randomly pours rain. Awesome. I've given up looking cute for the next two months and my hair will always be in a pony tail.

I'm exhausted. Summer session has started, which means because I work at an academy and there is no such thing as summer break I get to teach more classes. So now I'm teaching 30 hours a week - some days seven hours straight. It's tiring.

In one of my classes yesterday I was asking the students a whole bunch of questions; random things like "if you were stranded on a dessert island, what three things would you take?" and "if you could have a super power, which one would you want?" Toward the end of class I decided that they needed to ask me some questions - that is after all part of conversation. I'll admit I opened myself up for it, but I thought they would take note of the kind of questions I was asking. They did not. The first three questions were:

1. How old are you? (not that bad - I answered honestly)
2. When are you getting married? (slightly worse - I said I don't know)
3. Don't you want to lose some weight? (I was flabbergasted by this question. Sometimes Koreans have no concept of what the rest of the world is like - and it was just rude. I answered, "I'm not Korean," and moved on from there. After class I told the boy he should never ask that to non-Koreans because it's rude and they would get offended. I'm not sure if it sunk in or not.)

Luckily the rest of the questions were fine. But I had a "I hate Korea" moment when the third boy asked me that. Luckily it has passed. Here's hoping for more respectful students today.

1 comment:

Genny said...

poor Corinna. I'm not Korean too when it comes to that sort of talk. I have to remind my mom that sometimes :)