Thursday, July 9, 2009

I was bored in class, so I wrote a poem...

The Middle

I sat upon an empty stair, alone
In my own thoughts, considering my path
In life – whether I should go up or down.
I was stuck in the middle, you see,
The middle of I don’t know what or where –
The middle of life and love
Of progress and choice.
But wait, what is the middle of life?
If there is a middle, I don’t know
When it is. The end is unknown;
A close or distant point
Depending on choices that I make
And fate and luck.
I can only enjoy what I am given
What I earn,
And what I fairly take.
Only I can decide how I view my life
And so I choose –
I choose sore stomachs and dewy eyes
From laughing until it hurts
And letting the tears come freely.
I choose dirty feet and sticky hands
From running barefoot in the country
And summers filled with fresh fruit and ice cream.
I choose wet clothes and exhaustion
From dancing in the rain and water fights
And playing baseball too hard and too much.
I choose ugly hair and wrinkly skin
From driving with my car top down
And smiling so much as I soak in the sun.
From all this I realized that I’m not
Stuck – I’m free.
Free in the middle of my life!

No comments: